Monday 23 December 2013

Chessington 7

24th June 2010

Chessington Equestrian Centre, Chessington

Today I had a fabulous lesson. For the first time back,  I felt like I was really riding.

I was on Patchwork today for the first time. He's apparently the easiest and most comfortable horse on the yard. He certainly seemed that way to me.

After warming up, Leon said I was ready for joining the group lesson next time, and I immediately said no, citing the fact that I usually struggle to keep a canter going for even a lap and can't make circle-shaped trot circles, whilst the group lesson did all sorts of shapes, in canter, and always jumped.

Of course that set the tone for the rest of the lesson. Leon was out to prove that I could do all that.

And mostly without stirrups (intentionally rather than me losing them). I loved it. I *can* ride. Sitting trot stirrupless was fine, and I showed off by doing rising trot without stirrups. Then I cantered stirrupless, including lots of circles. It was only two weeks ago that I cantered a 20m circle for the first time.

I sat tall, (mostly) had my shoulders back, and (mostly) kept my legs long. And bloody enjoyed it. A few times I felt like we were motorbiking around the corners, as it was Patch's weaker side, but even that improved.

We finished by going over a couple of cross poles, though I can't really say he properly jumped over them.

Patch was superb, a lovely easy ride who was very responsive. I can see why he's a favourite.

I've already booked another couple of weeks of private lessons, but after that, I may run out of excuses not to join the group lesson. Eek.

And today, as Leon was teaching another lesson straight away, I was able to untack Patch and wash him off. I even went into the tackroom for the first time. Small things...

No comments:

Post a Comment