Monday 23 December 2013

Ridgeway 1


27th March 2010
Ridgway Stables, Wimbledon Common

As requested, I arrived a few minutes early, the door of the shop/office was shut and closed sign was on the door. The big gates next to this were wrapped in a padlocked chain. We walked around the side and a small door was open, so I wandered in and couldn’t see anyone.

A woman then walked in and seemed to know where she was going, so I followed her into the shop/office at the front. She suddenly said ‘how rusty are you?’ I looked around at the hordes of children and parents around, but realised she must have been talking to me, and therefore as she knew who I was without asking, she was expecting me and so presumably the one in charge.

I explained that I’d shared/loaned before, and done a bit of everything, but hadn’t ridden for 6 years and didn’t know how bad I’d be. I was told I was riding Wallace, and then various people appeared and I was told at various times to ‘follow me’, ‘stay here’, and ‘wait outside’.

Eventually I was waiting in the side road next to the yard (the yard is tiny so no room for mounting) and Wallace was brought out – a lovely big dark skewbald cob type with a wall eye. And a Cheltenham gag in its mouth. I’ve not used one before, but was aware that they weren’t for inexperienced hands, so was surprised to see one on a school horse. I also wondered why it was needed. Was I about to have an hour of drama?

By this point it was bucketing down, (it passed quickly and in the end I was too hot in my cycling jacket). I got on with the aid of some steps, but everyone else used them to so I didn’t feel too bad. A couple of riders went off ahead, then it was my turn and I was riding out accompanied by Ria on Henry.



We crossed over the main road, went down a side road and crossed over again, that was the extent of the road riding apart from one crossing, so I guess there is some hacking to be found in London. Although given the horses go out 3-4 times a day, and there’s only so many different ways you can go around Wimbledon Common, I guess the horses must all know the trotting and cantering spots.

On this ride we went to almost the furthest point of the Common (I know it well from running) and we were done in an hour.  My first trot was on the main part of the common, and I was initially surprised at how much effort it took to rise, and I seemed to be rising way up out of the saddle, whereas on my previous horses I only made small movements. I figured out after a while that Wallace was just a bit bouncy.

The tracks on the common were quite muddy in places, so although we did have quite a few trots, we had to walk through the muddiest patches. I was quite pleased to find that the Wallace wasn’t a complete follow-the-tail horse, and that I was able to ride him in front without issue. I also managed to do some improvised leg yielding as he had a habit of snaking around if I wasn’t keeping him together enough. I say improvised as I’ve never been properly taught it, but whatever I did had the desired effect.

When we reached the furthest point, we turned onto the canter track, and I was told I’d have to lead as he got a bit silly behind. I was fine with this, but a bit apprehensive about the canter as Oscar (my last horse) was such a spooky sod that whenever I cantered I had to cling on with my knees as he’d zip from side to side spooking at anything and everything.

But Wallace was lovely to canter, and once I’d relaxed a bit, I realised that my bum had not once left the saddle, and that he had a beautiful rocking horse canter. I quite enjoyed it.

We then passed one of the ‘public’ arenas that Wimbledon Village Stables seem to dominate, and sure enough there was a lesson going on. Four horses were cantering around doing changes of reins and loops, and having just done a short canter myself, and having the aching legs to show for it, I felt a little despondent at how un-riding-fit I’d become and how far away I was from the standard of those riders. I was surprised, as even with Oscar I only rode weekly so couldn't have been that fit, but I’d found this ride quite hard work.


We did a lot more trotting on the way home, mostly because Ria realised we were running late, and both horses were a lot more forward going towards home. As we approached the end of the common, the riders who had been using the arena passed us, having caught up with us in a walk. That didn’t make me feel any better. As they trotted past I felt a distinct sense of not being good enough. Goodness, not even an hour into my restarted riding career, and already the insecurities have started. Meh.

We got back to the yard 5 minutes late to be met by an impatient manager, and a tribe of horses waiting to go out for the next hack. I jumped off Wallace and immediately he was led over to the waiting rider, remounted and off they went. I did feel a little like being on a conveyor belt at this point, I must admit.

I enjoyed the ride but it’s raised quite a few more negatives than I expected. Most of these can be rationalised away though I guess.

I was dismayed at how tough I found it. Even just walking along felt hard, but then I guess wrapping your legs a barrel of a horse, with ankles turned underneath is not a normal non-riding position. I just expected being back on a horse to feel natural again, and it didn’t.

I was pleased at my control. Given that Oscar did what he wanted half the time, I was worried about that, but it was fine. My position in the canter was fine, but I felt I was rising too much in the trot. My lower legs felt like they were wobbling around when I rose, but Ria said they weren’t. I think my old habits of tilting forward and having too loose a contact on the reins were still there, but I did feel a bit nervous of the gag in his mouth so was reluctant to have a proper contact.

I guess there was nothing that won’t improve with time, as the biggest issue was my leg strength and riding fitness. I have strong legs from running, cycling, swimming and doing weights, but I guess you only ever use the riding specific muscles when you ride. Which I haven’t done for a long time.

It was my first experience of riding in London, and I’m not sure I’m sold on it. I most certainly will not be keeping a horse in Wimbledon when I get one, at either yard, as there is a complete lack of turnout, and I’d go mad with only hacking over the same small area.

As I’ve mostly hacked alone with my previous horses, I’m used to suiting myself. It was the first time in almost 20 years that I’ve been on a formal ride, where someone else has been in charge, and on a horse that is not my own. Although he wasn’t especially dozy, Wallace was probably a prime example of a school horse, which is something I’m just not used to. I’m also not used to riding a horse that has been out twice already that day and still has another ride to do after mine. But until I get my own I’ll just have to get used to it. I did quite like him though.

Not sure I’d stick with Ridgway for regular rides, I may try out WVS a few times and see what they’re like, but I don’t see that they’d be much different. If I wanted proper lessons I’d realistically have to go there, as on my ‘lesson’ today we only chatted, and I don’t remember her giving me any instructions other than once to shorten my reins. She did joke early on though that it would be her easiest lesson ever, as I she didn’t need to tell me anything. I guess that’s from a ‘complete beginner’ perspective though...

I’ve still got half of the gift voucher left. I may book two further hacks instead of one lesson, and pay the balance, as other than being in a bigger group, I’m not sure what the difference would be, judging on today. It did all feel a bit rushed – not the ride itself, but the getting there, getting on, and certainly after the ride. But then I guess I’ve bever been to a stables for just a ride – when I started at the riding school I was there all day helping in exchange fro free lessons, and then when I shared horses I obviously had to do all the yard work and of course chatting to everyone. Today I felt like a client, rather than a part of the yard. Which I guess is exactly what I was.

It’s great that I have two stables within a mile and a half, but I think I’ve realised today that riding in London is *really* not ideal. For someone like me, who wants to get on and do their own thing, and explore the countryside at my own pace, an accompanied hack on a school horse in the middle of London just doesn’t hit the spot.

Because I’m so booked up with races etc, the next weekend that I’m free to ride is mid-May. Clearly I’m not going to improve my riding and get my fitness back if I ride only every couple of months. I guess at some point I need to sit down and work out what I really want. And then how to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment