Monday 23 December 2013

Chessington 6

22nd June 2010

Chessington Equestrian Centre, Chessington

The lesson that wasn't...

After last week's dabacle, I didn't dare bike there again, so got the train even though my lesson was 15 minutes later than usual, so I'd be hanging around for half an hour before my lesson. I want to spend more time there though, and get used to just being around horses agin, as so far I've just pretty much got on ridden, and got off again each time.

I watched the helpers lesson for a while, then had a chat in the office about the options of sharing one of the RS horses.

The lesson ended, and it was time for mine. Usually the horse is brought out for me to get on, but this time as I knew I was riding Tom, and knew which one he was (kinda essential) I wandered over to him myself and asked if I could bring him out myself. Small thing, but I hadn't done it before and wanted to check it was ok!

Leon then asked if he could have a quick break, to which I reminded him I'd been late last time and couldn't really complain, and then he asked if I could get myself on.

OK, now anyone with a horse or indeed who helps at a RS will be wondering what I'm going on about, but - having only been given a horse at the mounting block, and having someone else do my stirrups and my girth - finally being able to get the horse myself, get on myself, sort my stirrups myself, do up my girth myself, and then walk into the school and start warming up myself, is progress! Yes, I've done it all before, but not since I started riding again.

The lesson was very short-lived. After moving into trot, I noticed that he seemed to be nodding slightly up front. I asked Leon if he was slightly lame, and he said he seemed stiff. After a few more laps, it was clear he was getting worse, and so the lesson ended.

But for the time that I was on him, he seemed completely different to last Thursday. My heart sank a little when I was told I was on Tom, but he was great. I asked for an active walk and got one. He didn't stray around the track, he trotted as soon as I asked and walked as soon as I asked. Very responsive and didn't make me feel like a useless lump. The lesson may have been short, but it gave me some confidence back.

And I asked Leon some more about sharing and got an enthusiatic response. I will need to go out on a few hacks with them first (which I'd been planning to do anyway) but there may be a couple of suitable horses available now. If not, then at least they know I'm interested.

When I started riding again, I hadn't planned to spend much time at a riding school, least of all share a horse at one, but the facilities there are great, the hacking (so I hear) is good, the instructors are good and I can get there easily enough.

I'm not going to be in a position to buy a horse for along while yet, and couldn't even commit much time to sharing/loaning, so it may be that sharing a RS horse may be the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment