Monday 23 December 2013

Chessington 4

10th June 2010
Chessington Equestrian Centre, Chessington

This was my 2nd lesson in 3 days, and I think increasing the regularity of riding will really help.
It was my first lesson with Sarah, and I was back on Luran again.

Things started off slowly, and I realised how lazy he was and that with my ‘weak lower legs’ (quoted from Sarah) it was going to be another tiring session.

Lower leg is getting much better. I’m really trying to turn my knee out, and although I’m still losing the position in trot, my stirrups are staying put for longer.

Lots of trotting, and lots of encouragement from Sarah to use my whip to tap the shoulder if need rather than constantly nagging with my legs. I’m never quite sure what to do, as I’ve variously been told to nudge every stride, and conversely not to touch unless needed.

Apart from a general lack of impulsion and energy, the trot was going quite well after a while.
Onto canter, and after being asked how my canter was and replying that the transitions were basically shambolic, it actually went quite well. I also found it easier to get canter in the first place, and to maintain the pace, whether that was an improvement on my part or because Luran was perhaps easier, I don’t know.

I managed to canter a few laps without breaking to trot, and also (I think for the first time) cantered a couple of 20m ‘circles’. My hands were picked on today, I need to carry them higher and ‘give’ them less in the canter.

Sarah was very good, as she kept nagging at me and reminding me what to do, so regular shouts of ‘hands’, ‘leg’ and ‘whip’ rang out across the arena. I do seem to need the constant nagging, but hopefully soon it will all become habit and I’ll do it automatically.

I really enjoyed this lesson, the canters were certainly the best I’d had since riding again, and I felt much better and in position more – possibly helped by lots of cantering where I found it comparatively easy to keep my knee out and lower leg on.

My leg was staying in position much more, and although my heels inevitably started rising again after a while, I was able to maintain the correct position for much longer.

Hacking again on Sunday, which is my last ride at Wimbledon for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment