Monday 23 December 2013

Chessington 2

27th May 2010

Chessington Equestrian Centre, Chessington

So having had my assesment lesson and been recommended to have a lunge lesson to improve my position, I had had to wait over two weeks due to an inconveniently timed holiday. But finally it was time to trek back to Chessington, and have my first ever lunge lesson.

It was a lot busier than last time. There were a couple of lessons in 2 of the 3 schools, and horses were being tacked up for a big group lesson. There seemed to be a large amount of people around, and my fears about big yards resurfaced. I made up for it by grinning madly at anyone and everyone.

I booked in at the office and met Steve (senior instructor) for the first time, and enquired about discounts - if you 'bank' money with them, you get 5% or 10% off depending on how much you pay in advance. I must bring my chequebook next time, as I've definitely committed to staying at this yard at least for the short term.

The group lesson started warming up, and I looked on, terrified that one day I may have to do the same. I find riding in an arena bad enough, let alone having a handful of other horses and riders in there at the same time.

A lovely grey by the name of Tom was brought out for me, and Leon came over and said he would be teaching me.

I wasn't sure how the lunging would work, as I'd never done it before, but aside from getting mildly dizzy, it was quite good, and I'll be booking more lunge lessons in future.

My main problem was of course sitting up and not tipping forward. My heels are either down enough or at least not enough of an issue, as my new mantra is now 'shoulders back' rather than 'heels down'.

I was also told to turn my knee and thigh out, in order to bring my calf into closer contact with the horse. This is something I've not done before, and I think it'll need work before it's automatic.

Another thing I've not done, is isolate the aids for transitions. In other words, I've never tried to stop without reins. I was told to lighten my seat to stop, and Leon was met with a blank stare. I was taught the basics of kick and pull, and though I've heard technical terms over the years, I don't know how to do them. Apparently to lighten your seat you kind of tighten your pelvic floor. Oh, ok. Done that before...

So I practised walk to halt without reins. Leon said to halt, and I lightened my seat. Half a circle later, Tom gave up trying to work out what I was telling him and decided to stop. Yay! I did it! Yeah, I might need to work on using my seat more effectively.

Most of the lesson was in trot, with some transition work, and I was a bit tired and glad when the half hour finished. Riding fitness, come back! Please!

I was very encouraged by Leon commenting afterwards that I was a confident rider, echoing what Diane had said on my assessment lesson. I have for so long regarded myself as a nervous rider, that it seems strange to think otherwise. Strange, but good. Now I just need some technique to back up my confidence.

I had been aware of the group lesson when I was riding, and I watched until the end of their lesson. They were trotting when they were not working, and taking turns to canter circles and pop over a couple of jumps on tight lines. I was awestruck, and thinking I would never be able to do that, but then Leon said that with another month or so of a few private lessons, I'd be ready to join in. Just to back that up, I was chatting to Steve after their lesson and he said the same. Umm...not sure about that one.

As I left, the group lesson came out and after dismounting led the horses to their boxes to untack. I commented to Steve that at Ridgway it was more a case of hand the horse back after getting off, and he said that everyone was encouraged to untack etc, especially after the evening lessons as he would striuggle to get everything done otherwise, woith the lack of staff around at that time. That's promising for me, as I missed the contact with horses more than the riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment