Saturday 27 December 2014

Chessington 11

8th July 2010
Chessington Equestrian Centre, Chessington

Short ride tonight. Leon was still teaching and I got on early, so started warming him up in the school on my own. I'd not ridden Mikey before, but he was a lovely looking grey that is apparently horrible to handle from the ground. I witnessed this twice as he was being tacked up as he firstly pulled away and snapped the baler twine, then gave Michelle rope burns when he ran back a second time. I was assured he was lovely to ride.

Did a few trots, and really had to work hard with him, as he was bone idle. He was a little stiff, and needed a lot of work to keep going, and after 10 minutes or so of warming up, he was still stiff, so that was the end of the lesson.

Second time it's happened, second time on a grey. Maybe I should just avoid greys as I seem to make them instantly lame.

Anyway, I helped put Mikey away, which as he was kept on the livery yard side meant a short walk over there. On the way I again asked Leon about sharing, and must have let slip that I wanted to buy, as somehow we ended up in the field viewing one of the new horses they have for sale.

Too small (15.2), too young (5) and too expensive, but it got my mind whirring. If I could get a suitable horse, I could keep it at working livery there - including worming and shoes, that would work out less than I'm paying at the moment.

I think I'll definitely stay at Chessington for a good while yet. The horses all look really well and the facilities are great. In winter, when I can't get to the yard until 7pm and so hacking is out of the question, I need to be able to ride somewhere. As they have 5 (or even 6?) floodlit arenas, I can ride year round - and still have lessons, without having to arrange transport to anywhere. Plus by cycling 20 miles there and back, it's keeping my training up without really trying to.

So the plan now is to keep my ears open for share possibilities at Chessington, and have half a mind on the bonus I'll hopefully get in September, with a view to spending it on my own horse. Woop woop.

No comments:

Post a Comment